Friday, December 08, 2006

Linux ramblings

I've toyed with linux for the past few years, just for the fun of it I've sampled Mandrake (now Mandiva), Suse and Ubuntu.
Most times, I end up getting rid of it after a few days, because I just don't see the point - I know it's "cooler", and I know it runs smoother, and I know it's safer, but to tell you the truth I'm happy with my Xp install. I can do everything on it, even gaming, and I don't feel like it's too slow, or unsafe or anything.
Still, there is one thing I really liked last time I installed Suse - after installing XGL, I installed Compiz (now called Beryl), which is a program that let's you use amazing 3D effects on your desktop. Nevermind if you don't understand, the only thing I can tell you the end product looked beautiful!
To cut a long story short, I decided a while ago I wanted to give the new version of Ubuntu a shot, but I was kinda bummed I wouldn't be able to have the same cool effects again. Well - turns out I was very wrong, because I found a few how-two's for installing xgl\beryl on ubuntu.
I can't say I'm done yet, but just so you understand, take a look at what the end-product should look like:



If you want that kind of eye-candy too, all I can say is it's not as hard as you might think. First all get Ubuntu, and then check this tutorial and this wiki. If in the middle of the process you get frustrated, don't hesitate to drop me a line - moral support will only be a few minutes away...

No comments: