Wednesday, December 06, 2006

http://www.chacha.com/

I found a new search engine. Now, I know, you'll ask me "why would you need anything but google?" - well, this engine gives you the chance to chat with a "guide" that helps you find what you where looking for. It sounds weird, so I tried it : I typed "Roy Rubin" and what I got was a chat window. This is the conversation that followed:

JessicaB: Welcome to ChaCha!
JessicaB: Hello!
You: Yeah?
JessicaB: What would you like to know about Roy Rubin?
You: I saw a post about this engine and i wanted to search for something to see what it's all about
You: so i typed my own name
You: are you really getting payed to search with me?
JessicaB: Yes.
You: wow
JessicaB: Are you a famous Roy Rubin?
You: not really, though my mother think i might be some day. where's the money behind all of this?
JessicaB: Do you mean how do we get paid?
JessicaB: Sorry, the system is lagging this morning.
You: no, i mean, what's the business model behind this weird site... only adds? that's it?
JessicaB: Well, I know we are paid through the advertising, but let me send you a link to the owner's site.
JessicaB: The fifth link is for ChaCha's owner.
You: are you all English speakers? or do you have international staff as well?
JessicaB: As you can see, he has many companies.
JessicaB: The requirement right now states you must speak English.
You: yeah but what if i wanted help with something in hebrew?
JessicaB: Hopefully in the future, the will have multilingual guides.
You: cool
JessicaB: Right now we are still in Beta testing.
You: well, i should be going...
JessicaB: The biggest thing right now is to get the system working smoothly and build the database.
You: i guess
JessicaB: Okay, have a great day!
You: you too!
JessicaB: Thanks for using ChaCha! I hope you had a great search experience!

I'm really speechless. Try it yourselves and tell me what you got!
Oh, and by the way, here is the link she gave me to the guy behind this peculiar enterprise.

Update: after spending the last 24 hours trying to think of a good search topic, one I wasn't able to tackle on my own, I can't seem to get anyone to guide me any more! All I get is a laconic message telling me that "all chacha guides are currently searching with others". Deam it.

No comments: