Saturday, December 16, 2006

James Kim

At first I didn't really think about writing something about him. There's already so much stuff about his story on the net: news articles, pieces written by his friends, family and coworkers, and bloggers too - people like me that hadn't even met the guy but only followed his work.
Thing is, it dawned on me that only net-geeks like me really knew anything about him, as events were unfolding I tried desperately to find someone to talk to about this (flesh and blood, not a virtual-over-the-net kind of someone). I guess in America things might be a little different - it's such a "juicy" story, tragic, smelling of "family life", yet without a gory aftertaste - I bet American television had a field day with it; but here in Israel I couldn't find anyone who knew anything, and no one even reported anything, not even a little post on Ynet or anything.
In any case, I hope I've got you interested enough to devote the next five minutes of your day to read a bit about what happened to him, his wife, and their two kids. I'm not going to give you a play-by-play of what happened, as I said, there's so much already out there, I'm just going to give you a few links I deemed good enough for you two skim through:

First of all, Wikipedia. It gives a good overview of the whole ordeal. In case they take it down, you can read a bit it in this articles from the NYTimes. C|Net wrote a lot about him, he was working there at the time, so their pages are the most emotionally compelling: this one is a news update from when they found his wife and kids, and this one is from when they found him.
C|Net also has a nice "In memoriam" article dedicated to James, which includes a small video.

If, after all of this, a benevolent philanthropic mood strikes you, you can donate some money to the "James Kim Memorial Fund", so his girls can go to college when they're old enough, and the family can cover the expenses of the costly search-and-rescue helicopter-missions.

No comments: