Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Shaking clean the residues of older definitions

There's a Douglas Adams quote I ran into a while back that goes: “I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but almost always end up where I need to be”. I feel like this quote might just be the theme of this post.

When I decided to jump back on the blog-writing-horse, I was sure I'd delete everything and start from scratch. Now that I'm here though, I can't do it - I love these post, I remember how cathartic it felt writing them, and I just can't see what was the thinking behind the decision to delete them.
So, since I am now NOT going to delete them, this post is going to be split into two main sections: The main purpose of the first section will be giving all those past-posts a nice ending, sort of, and perhaps allowing me to have a certain sense of closure. The second part, as you might already
be suspecting, will be about starting anew, giving this blog a fresh new direction, shaking clean the residues of older definitions.

I. My mother died about two months ago. I'm pretty sure I would have mentioned it anyway, but since I've written about her getting sick, I feel obligated to write about it. The whole week leading up to her passing away, was one of the worst weeks I had ever had. We all felt it was coming, she was asleep most of the time, and very hazy (at best) when she was awake. Then there was the funeral, and the shiv'a.
The funeral was beautiful, as much as a funeral could be under those circumstances, and the only thing I can say about what came later is that I had a lot of fun. Enjoying the shiv'a really took me by surprise - I really didn't know what to expect - but it was nice, spending all that time at home, doing nothing most of the day, talking to friends later in the evening. I guess my experience was much different then dad's or Neomi's, and I do feel blessed not to have had to endure what they went through, especially Neomi - she had a continuous stream of people coming in
, dozens.
I guess I have to talk about school and the work at the lab too, I've ranted so much about it I should say a few words. It might be just a question of me having a streak of good days, but lately I feel better about all of this: Finishing the degree doesn't seems like such a daunting task any more, and the work at the lab, well - let's just say that the prof. will be here and here during the next two months, so I have some breathing space to unwind and take care of myself and my work, first and foremost.
That's it then.

II. I don't think I'll write personal stuff anymore, not anywhere near what I've written till now. I guess if something major happens I'll drop a line or two, but nothing more then that. The era for all that touchy-feely crap has hereby ended.
What I will write about, is stuff I encounter everyday on the net. Let me explain: I surf a lot, a big bunch of different sites, and I would really like a place where I can just through all those links, and come back to them later on. As it stands, I'm doing this mostly for myself (that much hasn't changed :-)), but I get the feeling if you visit once in a while, you might find something amusing that you've overlooked during your surfing experiences.

P.S. I will also start writing posts that are much MUCH shorter, so don't let that worry you...

No comments: